What is emergencySMS?
If you cannot make voice calls, you can now contact the 999 emergency services by SMS text from your mobile phone. Emergency SMS is part of the standard 999 service which has been designed specifically for people with hearing loss or difficulty with speech.
Since September 2009, the emergencySMS service has successfully handled hundreds of real emergency calls. Thanks to this service criminals have been arrested, lives have been saved and babies have been born safely.
What is an emergency?
Please do not send test or non-emergency texts –
only use emergencySMS for real emergencies.
For example, if:
- someone’s life is at risk
- a crime is happening now
- someone is injured or threatened
- there is a fire or people are trapped
- you need an ambulance urgently
- someone is in trouble on the cliffs, on the shoreline or is missing at sea.
For more information, visit: www.emergencysms.org.uk